If you can’t already tell, I am super excited to share my secrets of blood tubing with you!!! For those of you who don’t know what blood tubing is, if you ever saw somebody get cut open in a movie, sliced, or jabbed the blood that is gushing from their body is made possible by the effect of blood tubing. It is important to note that this can be done in sooooo many different and creative ways. I wanted to share with you my experience, but feel free to comment on ways that you blood tube!!! Would love to hear from you.
I did a short film called A Girl At The Front Door a couple of weekends ago. These are the simple and easy steps I followed.
1. The first step to this process was to get the prop (in this case a knife) from the assistant director, because they were using the knife for a couple of scene before the initial stabbing.
*In order to execute blood tubing to the best of your ability, you have to give yourself enough time to prepare, test out the prop, and also to have room for accidents in case something goes wrong.
2. Next you are going to need to get the long tube (where to get it and what kind, will be specified at the bottom of the article).
3. After you have the tube you will need to cut it so that it becomes the length of the prop, in this case a knife, so that the audience or viewers won’t see it. What’s the point of stabbing someone without it looking real, right???
4. You’re probably wondering what should I put the blood in .. Right! Well you will need something durable. In my case I used non spermicide condoms. I KNOW who thought condoms would ever be good for something other than sex hahaha. Condoms are great because they are durable, they are stretchy but you want to get one that doesn’t have all the gooey gross lube or spermicide incase the actor has to taste it. OHHH yum lube for lunch.
5. Now you want to put the tube inside the condom and tape it around the tubing tight.
6. The next step, you want to place the tubing on the backside of the knife. The condom will be placed in the actors hand. As the actor slices down, he or she will also want to squeeze the condom, and the blood will come out as fast as they want it to.
SO……..Where can I get the materials?!?!?!
TUBING: As a make up artist it’s all about the resources. For the tubing I go to Lowes and get a couple of yards so that it will last awhile.
BLOOD: For the blood there are two options for you to choose from –
*ONE is to buy pre-made blood form the makeup stores such as Frends, Nigel’s, Cinema Secrets and Naimie are all located in Hollywood. When you walk into these stores there are so many different brands of fake blood to pick from. But my favorite fake blood is called MY BLOOD. Please note if any of this blood is going into the actors mouth, make sure to get the blood labeled mouth blood . The other one is for the clothing, floor, etc.
*TWO is making the blood yourself. Instead of running to the makeup store you are on your way to the grocery store, that’s right ladies and gentleman the grocery store! On your grocery list put down food coloring, make sure that you have all four of the primary colors and an extra red if possible. the next thing on your list is the Corn syrup and Hershey’s chocolate syrup for the flavor and darkening of the blood. Then you will mix everything in a large bowl. Depending on how light or dark you want the blood, you will need to add less chocolate for a lighter color and more chocolate for a darker color.
Please note that blood can stain your outfit and your skin. Have no fear if this happen make sure that you wash your cloths right away, but if you can’t get to them right away, you can use shaving cream to get the stain off your skin and clothing. I always have some in my makeup kit when I am on set. You never know when you will need it. 🙂
Make-up by Ann Beckette, Art and Cosmetics all in one